Blog 1 – Why we thought it was important to set up WACS
By Executive Board, WACS
The ‘Review of the Regulation of Cosmetic Interventions’1 lead by chairman, NHS Medical Director Professor Sir Bruce Keogh outlines the requirement better training, regulation and proper redress for patients using aesthetic and cosmetic practitioners.
The review group specifically said ensuring all practitioners are properly qualified for all the procedures they offer, from cosmetic surgeons offering breast enlargement to people offering ‘injectables’, such as dermal fillers or Botox would contribute to a successful and safe industry.2
The provision of high quality flexible medical education in aesthetics and cosmetic medicine is at heart of the Welsh Aesthetic & Cosmetic Society. Whether developing new CPD content or prompting established resources, we support our specialist members in their personal development so they can offer their clients the best professional aesthetic and cosmetic services, ultimately ensuring the increased patient safety.
With a variety of on and off line resources available to members, including biannual conferences, online CPD, face to face practical skills training etc. WACS has a central role in improving the standards of practice for the industry and its patients.
We support our members in the following ways:
- Provide guidance on best practice to ensure the safety of patients.
- Review current training and provide education to raise standards.
- Provide Continuous Professional Development.
- Give members access to information on training, conferences and research.
- To facilitate guidance and support to members.
- Organise, or assist in organising meetings, lectures, workshops and exhibitions.
- To facilitate networking and mentoring
- Support industry business growth and development in Wales.
As a representative group for everyone in Wales interested in aesthetic and cosmetic medicine WACS has an elected Executive Board covering all disciplines. We aim to consider any practice related issue in a timely, efficient and effective manner.
We are proud to provide the support and the best practice forum our members need, creating leaders in the specialty and promoting lifelong learning and personal development.
The Executive Board